On 2015-01-22 22:58:17 +0100, Andres Freund wrote:
> Because the way it currently works is a major crock. It's more luck than
> anything that it actually somewhat works. We normally rely on WAL to
> bring us into a consistent state. But around CREATE/MOVE/DROP DATABASE
> we've ignored that.

Hah: There's even a comment about some of the existing dangers:
                 *
                 * In PITR replay, the first of these isn't an issue, and the
second
                 * is only a risk if the CREATE DATABASE and subsequent template
                 * database change both occur while a base backup is being
taken.
                 * There doesn't seem to be much we can do about that except
document
                 * it as a limitation.
                 *
                 * Perhaps if we ever implement CREATE DATABASE in a less
cheesy way,
                 * we can avoid this.
only that it has never been documented as a limitation to my knowledge...

Greetings,

Andres Freund