On 15/03/15 14:51, Magnus Hagander wrote:
On Sun, Mar 15, 2015 at 2:27 PM, Andres Freund <and...@2ndquadrant.com
<mailto:and...@2ndquadrant.com>> wrote:

    On 2015-03-12 15:52:02 +0100, Andres Freund wrote:
     >       /*
     >        * Override any inconsistent requests. Not that this is a
    change
     >        * of behaviour in 9.5; prior to this we simply ignored a
    request
     >        * to pause if hot_standby = off, which was surprising
    behaviour.
     >        */
     >       if (recoveryTargetAction == RECOVERY_TARGET_ACTION_PAUSE &&
     >               recoveryTargetActionSet &&
     >               standbyState == STANDBY_DISABLED)
     >               recoveryTargetAction = RECOVERY_TARGET_ACTION_SHUTDOWN;

    While it's easy enough to fix I rather dislike the whole intent here
    though. *Silently* switching the mode of operation in a rather
    significant way seems like a bad idea to me. At the very least we need
    to emit a LOG message about this; but I think it'd be much better to
    error out instead.

    <9.5's behaviour was already quite surprising. But changing things to a
    different surprising behaviour seems like a bad idea.

+1. Especially for "sensitive" operations like this, having
predictable-behavior-or-error is usually the best choice.

Thinking about it again now, it does seem that ignoring user setting because it's in conflict with another user setting is a bad idea and I think we in general throw errors on those.

So +1 from me also.