On 4/27/15 10:06 PM, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
My point remains that we really need methods of a) getting the field
names from generic records and b) using text values to access fields of
generic records, both as lvalues and rvalues. Without those this feature
will be of comparatively little value, IMNSHO. With them it will be much
more useful and  powerful.

Sure, and if I had some pointers on what was necessary there I'd take a look at it. But I'm not very familiar with plpgsql (let alone what we'd need to do this in SQL), so I'd just be fumbling around. As a reminder, one of the big issues there seems to be that while plSQL knows what the underlying type is, plpgsql has no idea, which seriously limits the use of passing it a record.

In the meantime I've got a patch that definitely works for plSQL and allows you to handle a record and pass it on to other functions (such as json_from_record()). Since that's my original motivation for looking at this, I'd like that patch to be considered unless there's a big drawback to it that I'm missing. (For 9.6, of course.)