On 05/01/15 00:18, Robert Haas wrote:
On Thu, Apr 30, 2015 at 5:31 PM, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinn...@iki.fi> wrote:

You can override the ndistinct estimate with ALTER TABLE. I think
that's enough for an escape hatch.

I'm not saying that isn't nice to have, but I don't think it really
helps much here. Setting the value manually requires that you know
what value to set, and you might not. If, on some workloads, the old
algorithm beats the new one reliably, you want to be able to
actually go back to the old algorithm, not manually override every
wrong decision it makes. A GUC for this is pretty cheap insurance.

IMHO this is exactly the same situation as with the current ndistinct estimator. If we find out we'd have to use this workaround more frequently than before, then clearly the new estimator is rubbish and should not be committed.

In other words, I agree with Heikki.