On 01/05/15 16:10, Andres Freund wrote:
On 2015-05-01 10:06:42 -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
On Fri, May 1, 2015 at 9:58 AM, Andres Freund <and...@anarazel.de> wrote:
would you rather have EXCLUDED.data refer to the tuple version from
VALUES (or a SELECT or ...) or to version from the BEFORE trigger?

I think it would be completely shocking if it didn't refer to the
version returned by the BEFORE trigger.  My interpretation of the
semantics of BEFORE triggers is that, once the trigger has fired and
returned a new tuple, things should proceed just as if that new tuple
were the one originally provided by the user.

Well, it's a BEFORE INSERT trigger, not a BEFORE UPDATE, that's why I'm
not so sure that argument applies.

Peter also leaned in "your" direction and you apparently have a strong
opinion on it... So I guess that'll be it unless somebody else weighs
in.

FWIW I am also leaning towards what Robert says.