On 05/07/2015 12:01 AM, Andres Freund wrote:
6. The tablename and EXCLUDED? Possibility with the ability to specify
    an AS for INSERT INTO foo AS whatever?

If we don't allow "AS whatever", and you create a table called "excluded", you're stuck with the ambiguity in the DO UPDATE statement as you can't alias either one. So we have to add support for "INSERT INTO foo AS whatever", if we go with <tablename> and EXCLUDED.

Does anyone see a problem with "INSERT INTO foo AS whatever"? It seems pretty straightforward to implement.

If we don't use <tablename> and go back to TARGET/EXCLUDED or whatever we call them, they must only be visible to the UPDATE statement, not RETURNING. Otherwise we're back to square one.

- Heikki