On 05/18/2015 03:21 PM, Peter Geoghegan wrote:

The only question worth discussing is whether we change the operator to
"+" (or, for that matter, something else).  I've seen your vote on this,
so, does anyone else have an opinion on "+" vs. "||"?  Preferably with a
justification with some kind of grounding?
My argument has very good grounding. The "||" UPDATE idiom from hstore
does not and cannot work in a practical way with jsonb's current ||
operator (at least for the large majority of use cases). It could, it
just doesn't. I don't want users to make the same association that I
did, which, based on the total lack of documentation for the new
operator, they easily could.

So you're arguing that we shouldn't call the operation in question || because it's pretty much the same, mutatis mutandis, as the hstore operation of the same name. You've lost me.

Right now I'm more convinced that I was at the start of this discussion that we have the name right, and when we get a recursive merge operation calling it something else will be right too.

I do agree that we need to be clearer in the docs about what the operation is and is not.

cheers

andrew