On Tue, Jun 2, 2015 at 4:19 PM, Andres Freund <and...@anarazel.de> wrote:
> I'm not really convinced tying things closer to having done trimming is
> easier to understand than tying things to recovery having finished.
>
> E.g.
>         if (did_trim)
>                 oldestOffset = GetOldestReferencedOffset(oldest_datminmxid);
> imo is harder to understand than if (!InRecovery).
>
> Maybe we could just name it finishedStartup and rename the functions
> accordingly?

Basing that particular call site on InRecovery doesn't work, because
InRecovery isn't set early enough.  But I'm fine to rename it to
whatever.

> Maybe it's worthwhile to add a 'NB: At this stage the data directory is
> not yet necessarily consistent' StartupMultiXact's comments, to avoid
> reintroducing problems like this?

Sure.

>>       /*
>> +      * We can read this without a lock, because it only changes when
>> nothing
>> +      * else is running.
>> +      */
>> +     did_trim = MultiXactState->didTrimMultiXact;
>
> Err, Hot Standby? It might be ok to not lock, but the comment is
> definitely wrong. I'm inclined to simply use locking, this doesn't look
> sufficiently critical performancewise.

/me nods.  Good point.

> Hm. If GetOldestMultiXactOnDisk() gets the starting point by scanning
> the disk it'll always get one at a segment boundary, right? I'm not sure
> that's actually ok; because the value at the beginning of the segment
> can very well end up being a 0, as MaybeExtendOffsetSlru() will have
> filled the page with zeros.
>
> I think that should be harmless, the worst that can happen is that
> oldestOffset errorneously is 0, which should be correct, even though
> possibly overly conservative, in these cases.

Uh oh.  That seems like a real bad problem for this approach.  What
keeps that from being the opposite of too conservative?  There's no
"safe" value in a circular numbering space.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company