(B(crossposting to hackers)
(B
(BOn Tuesday 10 December 2002 00:47, Tom Lane wrote:
(B> In the next protocol version update (hopefully 7.4) I would like to see
(B> the basic version string (eg, "7.3.1" or "7.4devel") delivered to the
(B> client automatically during connection startup and then available from a
(B> libpq inquiry function.  This would eliminate the need to call version()
(B> explicitly and to know that you must skip "PostgreSQL " in its output.
(B
(BSomething along the lines of
(B  char *PQversion(const PGconn *conn) ?
(B
(B> However, it will only help for clients/libraries that are willing to
(B> deal exclusively with 7.4-or-newer backends, so it will take a few
(B> releases to become really useful.
(B
(BSounds good to me. Is it on the todo-list? (Couldn't see it there).
(B
(BIan Barwick
([EMAIL PROTECTED]
(B
(B
(BTIP 5: Have you checked our extensive FAQ?
(B
(Bhttp://www.postgresql.org/users-lounge/docs/faq.html