Hello Robert,

I've looked at the maths.

I think that the load is distributed as the derivative of this function, that is (1.5 * x ** 0.5): It starts at 0 but very quicky reaches 0.5, it pass the 1.0 (average load) around 40% progress, and ends up at 1.5, that is the finishing load is 1.5 the average load, just before fsyncing files. This looks like a recipee for a bad time: I would say this is too large an overload. I would suggest a much lower value, say around 1.1...

The other issue with this function is that it should only degrade performance by disrupting the write distribution if someone has WAL on a different disk. As I understand it this thing does only make sense if the WAL & the data are on the samee disk. This really suggest a guc.

I am a bit skeptical about this. We need test scenarios that clearly show the benefit of having and of not having this behavior. It might be that doing this always is fine for everyone.

Do you mean I have to proove that there is an actual problem induced from this patch?

The logic fails me: I thought the patch submitter would have to show that his/her patch did not harm performance in various reasonable cases. At least this is what I'm told in another thread:-)

Currently this patch changes heavily the checkpoint write load distribution in many cases with a proof which consist in showing that it may improve tps *briefly* on *one* example, as far as I understood the issue and the tests. If this is enough proof to apply the patch, then the minimum is that it should be possible to desactivate it, hence a guc.

Having a guc would also help to test the feature with different values than 1.5, which really seems harmful from a math point of view. I'm not sure at all that a power formula is the right approach.

The potential impact I see would be to aggravate significantly the write stall issues I'm working on, but the measures provided in these tests do not even look at that or measure that.

--
Fabien.