On 29 July 2015 at 12:51, Michael Paquier <michael.paqu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> In short, I would propose the following:
> - Have --create-slot only create a slot, then exit for both
> pg_recvlogical and pg_receivexlog.
> - Have --drop-slot drop a slot, then exit.

It makes more sense to create one new utility to issue replication commands
than to enhance multiple utility commands to have bizarre looking
additional features and modes.

pg_reputil --create-slot
pg_reputil --drop-slot
etc

though I prefer the idea of using psql and the already existing slot
functions than doing all of this extra code that needs maintaining.

- Remove the --start switch in pg_recvlogical, and let the utility
> start streaming by default.
> By doing so both utilities will behave similarly with the same set of
> options.

+1

That way all the utilities have just one thing they do.

<http://www.2ndquadrant.com/>