On 8/19/15 2:56 AM, Masahiko Sawada wrote:
The currently regression test for VM is that we just compare between
the total number of all-visible and all-frozen in VM before and after
VACUUM, and don't check particular a bit in VM.
we could substitute it to the ANALYZE command with enough sampling
number and checking pg_class.relallvisible and pg_class.relallfrozen.

I think this is another indication that we need more than just pg_regress...

So another way is that diagnostic function for VM is put into
something contrib (pg_freespacemap or pageinspect), and if we want to
use such function in production, we can install such extension as in
the past.

pg_buffercache is very useful as a performance monitoring tool, and I view being able to pull statistics about the VM and FM the same way. I'd like to see us providing more performance information by default, not less.

I think things like pageinspect are very different; I really can't see any use for those beyond debugging (and debugging by an expert at that).