On 10/17/15 11:49 AM, Pavel Stehule wrote:
<mailto:jim.na...@bluetreble.com>>:

    On 10/15/15 11:51 PM, Pavel Stehule wrote:

        I don't think so ignoring NULL in RAISE statement is good idea
        (it is
        not safe). We can replace NULL by some string (like "NULL") by
        default.
        I am thinking about other possibilities.

    What I was trying to say is that if the argument to a USING option
    is NULL then RAISE should skip over it, as if it hadn't been applied
    at all. Similar to how the code currently tests for \0.

I understand, but I don't prefer this behave. The NULL is strange value
and should be signalized.

So instead of raising the message we wanted, we throw a completely different exception? How does that make sense?

More to the point, if RAISE operated this way then it would be trivial to create a fully functional plpgsql wrapper around it.