I know I participate on this group periodically, but my last position was CTO at a company, and I currently run my own consulting company. I feel I have a pretty neutral perspective.

I don't see what the fuss is all about. Banner adds are good, if the PostgreSQL can get some good RELEVANT adds on its site, (a) shows viability, and (b) that there is some sort of revenue. Oracle and Microsoft "rape" their customers, of course they have no 3rd party banner adds, but make no mistake, there are adds for other products by the respective companies.

I think that, if you guys want banner adds, it is not a sin, nor is it unprofessional. My only suggestion is to make sure they are relevant to the database market. Adds that are relevant to your core competency enhance your message. Of course, if you post sweepstakes adds, then you blow it.