On 13/01/16 14:36, Vladimir Sitnikov wrote:
Say you already have a plan which looks like this:
Now the plan gets invoked with  $1 = 5.  What exactly in your mind would happen
here?

A sequential scan with $1=5 condition. What else could be there?

I don't know, it's your proposal :-)  But it looks like I misunderstood.

Note: I do not suggest changing already cached plans yet.
I suggest looking into "6th bind values" when building a cached plan.

But that wouldn't have helped your case. The custom plan is *more expensive*; I'm guessing because the generic plan gambles on a better average case instead of preparing for the worst case.

.m