Sorry for the pgTAP off-topicness here, hackers. Please feel free to ignore.

On May 17, 2016, at 8:10 AM, Jim Nasby <jim.na...@bluetreble.com> wrote:

> Speaking specifically to is(), what I'd find most useful is if it at least
> hinted that there might be some type shenanigans going on, because I've run
> across something like your example more than once and it always takes a lot
> to finally figure out WTF is going on.

Agreed. Same for the relation testing functions. Maybe some additional
diagnostics could be added in the event of failure.

> I think it'd also be useful to be able to specify an equality operator to
> is(), though that means not using IS DISTINCT.

You can use cmp_ok().

  http://pgxn.org/dist/pgtap/doc/pgtap.html#cmp_ok.

> Something else to keep in mind here is that is() is defined as is(anyelement,
> anyelement, text), which means you've lost your original type information
> when you use it. I don't think you could actually do anything useful here
> because of that.

pg_typeof() will give it to you.

Best,

David