On 06/27/2016 05:24 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
Christoph Berg <m...@debian.org> writes:
as reported by Debian's OpenSSL maintainers, PostgreSQL is failing to
build against a snapshot of the upcoming 1.1.0 version.

The errors you report make it sound like they broke API compatibility
wholesale.  Was that really their intent?  If so, where are the changes
documented?

I do not see that they have documented the removal of the SSL_library_init symbol anywhere. They changed the function into a macro in the following commit. I guess we have to check for some other symbol, like SSL_new.

https://github.com/openssl/openssl/commit/7fa792d14d06cdaca18f225b1d2d8daf8ed24fd7

They have also, which is in the release notes, broken API compatibility when they made the BIO and BIO_METHOD structs opaque. This will probably require some ugly ugly #ifs or compatibility macros from us.

They also seem to have broken our OpenSSL thread safety callback when they added their new threading API and removed the CRYPTO_LOCK define. I have reported this in their issue tracker (https://github.com/openssl/openssl/issues/1260).

In addition to this there are a couple of deprecated functions (DH_generate_parameters() and OPENSSL_config()), but they look pretty easy to handle.

I think much of the above is missing from the release notes I have found. I hope they will be more complete at the time of the release. I am working on a patch to handle these API changes.

- https://www.openssl.org/news/openssl-1.1.0-notes.html
- https://wiki.openssl.org/index.php/1.1_API_Changes

Andreas