Hi

> Robert Haas <robertmh...@gmail.com> writes:
> > On Mon, Jul 25, 2016 at 6:04 PM, Tom Lane <t...@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> >> I suppose that a fix based on putting PG_TRY blocks into all the
> affected
> >> functions might be simple enough that we'd risk back-patching it, but
> >> I don't really want to go that way.
>
> > try/catch blocks aren't completely free, either, and PL/pgsql is not
> > suffering from a deplorable excess of execution speed.
>
> BTW, just to annotate that a bit: I did some measurements and found out
> that on my Linux box, creating/deleting a memory context
> (AllocSetContextCreate + MemoryContextDelete) is somewhere around 10x
> more expensive than a PG_TRY block.  This means that the PG_TRY approach
> would actually be faster for cases involving only a small number of
> statements-needing-local-storage within a single plpgsql function
> execution.  However, the memory context creation cost is amortized across
> repeated executions of a statement, whereas of course PG_TRY won't be.
> We can roughly estimate that PG_TRY would lose any time we loop through
> the statement in question more than circa ten times.  So I believe the
> way I want to do it will win speed-wise in cases where it matters, but
> it's not entirely an open-and-shut conclusion.
>
> Anyway, there are enough other reasons not to go the PG_TRY route.

I did some synthetic benchmarks related to plpgsql speed - bubble sort and
loop over handling errors and I don't see any slowdown

handling exceptions is little bit faster with your patch

 CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION public.loop_test(a integer)
 RETURNS void
 LANGUAGE plpgsql
AS $function$
declare x int;