On 09/15/2016 05:33 PM, Christoph Berg wrote:
Re: Michael Paquier 2016-09-15
<CAB7nPqQu1GpMzkB4S6XO0_+1cAUx==RDVF70vCmDytuA=nc...@mail.gmail.com>
On Thu, Sep 15, 2016 at 8:57 PM, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinn...@iki.fi> wrote:
I backpatched this to 9.5, but not further than that. The functions this
modified were moved around in 9.5, so the patch wouldn't apply as is. It
wouldn't be difficult to back-patch further if there's demand, but I'm not
eager to do that until someone complains.

Not going older than 9.5 may be fine:
https://www.openssl.org/blog/blog/2014/12/23/the-new-release-strategy/
https://wiki.freebsd.org/OpenSSL
As far as I can see 1.0.2 would be supported until Dec 2019, so that
would just overlap with 9.4's EOL.

I'm afraid it's not that easy - Debian 9 (stretch) will release at the
beginning of next year, and apt.postgresql.org will want to build
9.2/9.3/9.4 for that distribution. I guess yum.postgresql.org will
have the same problem with the next Fedora release.

Can you elaborate? Are you saying that Debian 9 (strect) will not ship OpenSSL 1.0.2 anymore, and will require using OpenSSL 1.1.0?

- Heikki