On 2/14/17 1:18 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
I think this might be code-complete, modulo the question of whether we
want an enabling GUC for it.  I'm still concerned about the question
of whether it adds more planning time than it's worth for most users.
(Obviously it needs some regression test cases too, and a lot more
real-world testing than I've given it.)

Don't we normally provide a GUC for this level of query manipulation? We can always remove it later if evidence shows there's not sufficient downside (perhaps after gaining the ability for the planner to do extra work on queries that appear to be large enough to warrant it).

One point that could use further review is whether the de-duplication
algorithm is actually correct.  I'm only about 95% convinced by the
argument I wrote in planunionor.c's header comment.

Another reason for a GUC...

I'll put some thought into it and see if I can find any holes. Are you only worried about the removal of "useless" rels or is there more?
855-TREBLE2 (855-873-2532)