On 2/14/17 5:18 PM, Robert Haas wrote:
On Tue, Feb 14, 2017 at 4:06 PM, Alvaro Herrera
<alvhe...@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
I'd rather have a --quiet mode instead.  If you're running it by hand,
you're likely to omit the switch, whereas when writing the cron job
you're going to notice lack of switch even before you let the job run
once.

Well, that might've been a better way to design it, but changing it
now would break backward compatibility and I'm not really sure that's

Meh... it's really only going to affect cronjobs or scripts, which are easy enough to fix, and you're not going to have that many of them (or if you do you certainly have an automated way to push the update).

a good idea.  Even if it is, it's a separate concern from whether or
not in the less-quiet mode we should point out that we're waiting for
a checkpoint on the server side.

Well, --quite was suggested because of confusion from pg_basebackup twiddling it's thumbs...
855-TREBLE2 (855-873-2532)