On Tue, Mar 14, 2017 at 3:16 PM Andres Freund <and...@anarazel.de> wrote:

> Hm.  Right now ExprState's are allocated in several places - but we
> could easily move that to a central place.  Have a bit of a hard time
> seing that that branch during *initialization* time is that expensive,
> especially given that previously we allocated a lot of memory separately
> too.

I didn't make any comparisons of the cost of the new init against the old
init with this change in particular - I just saw that it made the new init
faster. I also didn't play around to determine if the savings was found in
removing the branch misprediction or inlining or both.

I certainly wouldn't hold up your commit for this, but it's something that
might be worth a second look once the dust has settled.