On 25 Apr. 2017 13:37, "Heikki Linnakangas" <hlinn...@iki.fi> wrote:

For some data shared memory structures, that store no pointers, we wouldn't
need to insist that they are mapped to the same address in every backend,
though. In particular, shared_buffers. It wouldn't eliminate the problem,
though, only make it less likely, so we'd still need to retry when it does
happen.

Good point. Simply splitting out shared_buffers into a moveable segment
would make a massive difference. Much less chance of losing the dice roll
for mapping the fixed segment.

Should look at what else could be made cheaply relocatable too.