On 07/07/17 19:54, Michael Banck wrote:

On Fri, Jul 07, 2017 at 07:40:55PM +1200, Mark Kirkwood wrote:
On 07/07/17 13:29, Amit Langote wrote:
Someone complained about this awhile back [1].  And then it came up again
[2], where Noah appeared to take a stance that partitions should be
visible in views / output of commands that list "tables".

Although I too tend to prefer not filling up the \d output space by
listing partitions (pg_class.relispartition = true relations), there
wasn't perhaps enough push for creating a patch for that.  If some
committer is willing to consider such a patch, I can make one.
Yeah, me too (clearly). However if the consensus is that all these partition
tables *must* be shown in \d output, then I'd be happy if they were
identified as such rather than just 'table' (e.g 'partition table').
+1.

Or maybe just 'partition' is enough if 'partition table' would widen the
column output unnecessarily.

Yeah, that is probably better (and 'partition table' is potentially confusing as Robert pointed out).

Cheers

Mark