LastBeginState -> RetryState? I'm not sure why this state is a pointer in CState. Putting the struct would avoid malloc/free cycles. Index "-1" may be used to tell it is not set if necessary.

Another detail I forgot about this point: there may be a memory leak on variables copies, ISTM that the "variables" array is never freed.

I was not convinced by the overall memory management around variables to begin with, and it is even less so with their new copy management. Maybe having a clean "Variables" data structure could help improve the situation.

--
Fabien.