Given that the number of variables of a pgbench script is expected to
be pretty small, I'm not sure that the sorting stuff is worth the
effort.

I think it is a good insurance if there're many variables..

My suggestion is really to look at both implementations and to answer
the question "should pgbench share its variable implementation with
psql?".

If the answer is yes, then the relevant part of the implementation
should be moved to fe_utils, and that's it.

If the answer is no, then implement something in pgbench directly.

The structure of variables is different, the container structure of the variables is different, so I think that the answer is no.

--
Marina Polyakova
The Russian Postgres Company