Huh?  The variable will be set in any case.  It should be correct for any
server version we might find in the wild --- so far as I can tell from the
commit history, every version supporting FE/BE protocol version 3 has sent
server_version at connection start.  With a pre-7.4 server, it looks like
the variables would be set to "0.0.0" and "0" respectively.

Scratch that: experimentation says it works fine with older servers too.
The oldest one I have in captivity reports

Ok, be it means a recent psql connecting to an old server. It does not work with an old psql.

SERVER_VERSION_NAME = '7.0.3'
SERVER_VERSION_NUM = '70003'

Looking more closely, I see that when using protocol version 2, libpq
will issue a "select version()" command at connection start to get
this info.

Then it could be used for free to set SERVER_VERSION if it can be extracted from libpq somehow?!

--
Fabien.