Hello,

* Clarification that this will work for current AND past server versions

The short answer is it works.  I do not think we need a longer answer.

To have something operational you have to know quite a bit of psql
details (:-substitutions, backslash command logic, gset, if, quit...).

Thus short, simple but meaningful examples which show how to do something useful with all that in the documentation may help people take advantage of these new features.

Given my experience with "\d*", I'm not sure I would assume that a new psql feature would work with older servers.

--
Fabien.