On 2017-09-06 16:36, Tom Lane wrote:
Sokolov Yura <funny.fal...@postgrespro.ru> writes:
On 2017-09-06 15:56, Tom Lane wrote:
The point I'm trying to make is that if tweaking generic.h improves
performance then it's an indicator of missed cases in the less-generic atomics code, and the latter is where our attention should be focused. I think basically all of the improvement Sokolov got was from upgrading
the coverage of generic-gcc.h.

Not exactly. I've checked, that new version of generic
pg_atomic_fetch_or_u32
loop also gives improvement.

But once you put in the generic-gcc version, that's not reached anymore.

Yes, you're right.

But I think, generic version still should be "fixed".
If generic version is not reached on any platform, then why it is kept?
If it is reached somewhere, then it should be improved.

--
Sokolov Yura aka funny_falcon
Postgres Professional: https://postgrespro.ru