På tirsdag 12. september 2017 kl. 19:19:22, skrev Bruce Momjian <
br...@momjian.us <mailto:br...@momjian.us>>:
On Thu, Aug  3, 2017 at 11:37:32AM +0200, Michael Paquier wrote:
 > On Mon, Jul 31, 2017 at 6:13 PM, Robert Haas <robertmh...@gmail.com> wrote:
 > > On Fri, Jul 28, 2017 at 10:35 AM, Andreas Joseph Krogh
 > > <andr...@visena.com> wrote:
 > >> I'm reading https://www.postgresql.org/docs/10/static/pgupgrade.html to
try
 > >> to understand how to upgrade standby-servers using pg_upgrade with pg10.
 > >>
 > >> The text in step 10 sais:
 > >> "You will not be running pg_upgrade on the standby servers, but rather
 > >> rsync", which to me sounds like rsync, in step 10-f, should be issued on
the
 > >> standy servers. Is this the case? If so I don't understand how the
standby's
 > >> data is upgraded and what "remote_dir" is. If rsync is supposed to be
issued
 > >> on the primary then I think it should be explicitly mentioned, and step
10-f
 > >> should provide a clarer example with more detailed values for the
 > >> directory-structures involved.
 > >>
 > >> I really think section 10 needs improvement as I'm certainly not
comfortable
 > >> upgrading standbys following the existing procedure.
 > >
 > > Yeah, I don't understand it either, and I have never been convinced
 > > that there's any safe way to do it other than recloning the standbys
 > > from the upgraded master.
 >
 > Here are my 2c on the matter. 10-f means that the upgraded node may
 > have generated WAL with wal_level = minimal, which, at least it seems
 > to me, that we have a risk of having inconsistent data pages if only a
 > rsync is used on the old standbys. Like Robert, the flow we used in
 > the products I work on is to re-create standbys from scratch after the
 > upgrade using a fresh backup, with a VM cloning. An upgrade here is an
 > in-place process not only linked to Postgres, so standby VMs are made
 > of many services, some are being linked to Postgres. So this choice is
 > mainly decided by those dependencies, still it feels safer anyway.

 I have applied the attached doc patch back to 9.5 to clarify
 pg_upgrade's rsync instructions and explain how it works.

 Improvements?

Thanks, that certainly improves things.
But; I still find the rsync-command in f) confusing;
1. Why --size-only? From rsync manual: "skip files that match in size", is
this safe??
2. Why is old_pgdata in the rsync-command, why is it needed to sync it?

There are many ways to do/configure things it seems, resulting in many ifs and
buts which makes section 10 rather confusing. I really think a complete
example, with absolute paths, would be clarifying.

I'm afraid many will still re-create standbys from scratch without a really
good and complete example to follow.

 --
 Andreas Joseph Krogh