Bruce Momjian wrote:

Tom Lane wrote:

Christopher Kings-Lynne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

It might be a bit risky getting pg_dump to use it though?

I definitely don't want pg_dump using the pretty-print stuff ;-).
I'm neutral on whether to use it in psql's \d commands.

I thought the pretty-printing stuff was designed specifically for psql \d and third-party apps like pgadmin.

Yes it was, but it can be meaningful for pg_dump too.
The pretty-print stuff will inflate the dump with many spaces which doesn't make any sense with formats not meant to be read by humans, (--format=c), but --format=p output might well be used for user editing. So IMHO an option to enable pretty-dump can be useful.

Regards,
Andreas

---------------------------(end of broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend