Neil Conway wrote:

On Mon, Aug 04, 2003 at 10:47:36AM +0200, Andreas Pflug wrote:

AFAICS the current implementation still doesn't have a way to access the affected rowset, so it'a pretty much like a SELECT without a WHERE.

Yeah, unfortunately I didn't get a chance to implement this functionality during the 7.4 cycle (and it apparently wasn't important enough for anyone else to do it while I've been away). I'll probably get around to doing it some time before the 7.5 release.

The current STATEMENT trigger code is still useful, IMHO -- I think
your suggestion that we should remove any mention of this feature
from the docs is certainly going too far. Should I submit a patch
for the documentation to include a note about what functionality
hasn't been implemented yet?

That's best, I believe. For people that came from other DBs, not familiar with rules, they should be directed to the advantages of rules.

Places that mention triggers and need review:

- CREATE TRIGGER
- Chapter 36.6 Rules versus Triggers
- Chapter 37 "Server Programming - Triggers"
- Chapter 40 "PL/PGSQL"
- Chapter 41 "PL/Tcl"
(not ch. 42 - PL/Perl doesn't support triggers)
- Chapter 43 "PL/Python"

Phew! And this list is possibly not complete...

Regards, Andreas

---------------------------(end of broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 5: Have you checked our extensive FAQ?