I've not been keeping up with the thread re who has what version of
getpwuid_r... But just to clarify things the "right" version is:

 int getpwuid_r(uid_t uid, struct passwd *pwd, char *buffer,
                size_t bufsize, struct passwd **result);

documented at:

 http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/007904975/functions/getpwuid.html

My email to Bruce which he tacked onto his reply is a good summary of
the current problems with the thread stuff.

L.