From UnixWare:

$ cc -O -Kpthread test_thread.c -o test_thread -lsocket -lnsl
UX:acomp: WARNING: "test_thread.c", line 60: argument #3 incompatible with prototype: pthread_create()
UX:acomp: WARNING: "test_thread.c", line 61: argument #3 incompatible with prototype: pthread_create()
$ ./test_thread
Your functions are all thread-safe
$

--On Wednesday, September 03, 2003 15:36:53 -0400 Bruce Momjian <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> > If any one can write a program that can prove anything (I can't), I'm
> > willing to test it here on a bi-pro (bi PIII and bi-XEON with JT
> > enabled) running uw713.
> > Maybe it will end the discussion and make a point in either way. So
> > that we (you?) can move on with the other unixware patches.
>
> You don't need a SMP machine to test threads.  You just need one thread
> to do the function call, then another to do the function call and see
> if the two pointers are different.  They calls don't have to happen at
> the same time.  Ideally you could make call in the two threads with
> different arguments, then after both calls are completed, test that the
> two static areas have the proper _different_ values.

Ok, I don't know much about threads; would you write a simple program for
us to test?

OK, done, and attached. It is also now in CVS as src/tools/test_thread_funcs.c.

In hindsight, I should have done this long ago.  However, it only tests
the thread-safety of functions.  It does not completely test your
threading capability.

I would like every operating system that supports thread-safety to run
this program and report back the results.

-- Larry Rosenman http://www.lerctr.org/~ler Phone: +1 972-414-9812 E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED] US Mail: 1905 Steamboat Springs Drive, Garland, TX 75044-6749