Richard Huxton wrote:

On Thursday 11 September 2003 09:33, Andreas Pflug wrote:

*NO PARSING*
The script must be stuffable into PQexec in total, backend does the rest.

Again: not psql, but sql language itself must provide this.

No out-of-band, because this would require splitting the script in pieces.

What's wrong with re-using the COPY FROM format?

I must be writing a completely ununderstandable english, sorry for that.

*NO PARSING*, I don't know how to express this differently.

What I'm saying all the time that a single sql script file containing a huge number of statements including function creation must be executable without parsing it, splitting it into parts and stuffing the data into different functions.

When creating a new instance of a database for an app, I don't create each object one by one interactively, but use a script for this. To create the script, I certainly won't use psql and some arbitrary editor, but a frontend allowing for editing and executing that script.

Regards,
Andreas