>From CVS logs I see:

        pg_dump/pg_restore now always use SET SESSION AUTHORIZATION, not
        \connect, to control object ownership.  The
        use-set-session-authorization and no-reconnect switches are obsolete
        (still accepted on the command line, but they don't do anything).  This
        is a precursor to fixing handling of CREATE SCHEMA, which will be a
        separate commit.

This was to fix a problem with restoring schemas.  However, the commit
says that --use-set-session-authorization and --no-reconnect are no
longer honored.  Seems we can silently ignore a
--use-set-session-authorization flag because that is now the default,
but I don't see how we can ignore a --no-reconnect flag --- we should
throw an error.

The pg_dump manual says:

        -R
        --no-reconnect

            This option is obsolete but still accepted for backwards compatibility.

Also, the 7.3 manual mentions that only the super-user can restore using
--use-set-session-authorization.  This is now the only way to create
dumps.  Seems this is a new limitation to pg_dump that we didn't
discuss.

TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster