Tom Lane wrote:

Andrew Dunstan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

initdb is kinda hokey, again probably for historic reasons, and that if it were being redesigned from scratch today a better way would be to have an cluster image built at compile time and just copied and tweaked at runtime. Almost all the required info appears to be known at compile time, AFAICS.

One thing we would rather not have to freeze at compile time is the locale settings...

That would have been one of the tweaks :-) Anyway, I'll let sleeping dogs lie.

cheers

andrew