I'm tired of this kind of "2PC is too slow" arguments. I think
Satoshi, the only guy who made a trial implementation of 2PC for
PostgreSQL, has already showed that 2PC is not that slow.

Where does Satoshi's implementation sit right now?  Will it patch to v7.4?
Can it provide us with a base to work from, or is it complete?

It is not ready yet.
You can find it at ...

http://snaga.org/pgsql/

It is based on 7.3

    * the 2-phase commit protocol (precommit and commit)
    * the multi-master replication using 2PC
    * distributed transaction (distributed query)

current work

* restarting (from 2nd phase) when the session is disconnected in 2nd phase (XLOG stuffs)
* XA compliance

future work

    * hot failover and recovery in PostgreSQL cluster
    * data partitioning on different servers

I have compiled it a while ago. Seems to be pretty nice :).

Hans

-- Cybertec Geschwinde u Schoenig Ludo-Hartmannplatz 1/14, A-1160 Vienna, Austria Tel: +43/2952/30706 or +43/660/816 40 77 www.cybertec.at, www.postgresql.at, kernel.cybertec.at