what about my Privilege regression failure?

I'm not sure why it's dying...

LER

--On Monday, October 27, 2003 23:32:45 -0500 Tom Lane <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Bruce Momjian <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
We only have a few open items left.  Can we finish them so we can move
toward final release?

Okay, here's my two cents:

Allow superuser (dba?) the ability to turn off foreign key checks/all
  constraints/triggers, not settable from postgresql.conf?

We have seen a wide variety of proposals and opinions on this, ranging from "you can turn off the C in ACID anytime you want" to "you can suppress ALTER TABLE ADD FOREIGN KEY's cross-check ... and nothing else ... but only if you are superuser, mutter the right secret password, and spin three times widdershins". I am in the "three times widdershins" camp myself. But given the lack of consensus, I think the right short-term answer is to do nothing further. We can improve this more in future releases.

Move ANALYZE before foreign key creation?

"Move"? pg_dump scripts don't issue ANALYZE at all. Again, I think this is not something to be introducing at the last minute.

Rename dump GUC variable to be more generic

Sure, if we can agree on a name.

Document new --describe-config postgres option

Go to it.

Have gcc use -g, add --disable-debug, rename?

Personally I don't like the idea of this behavior defaulting differently depending on which compiler you use. I can see the practical arguments for doing so, but it still rubs me the wrong way. Can anyone offer new arguments pro or con here?

-- Larry Rosenman http://www.lerctr.org/~ler Phone: +1 972-414-9812 E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED] US Mail: 1905 Steamboat Springs Drive, Garland, TX 75044-6749