On Nov 8, 2003, at 12:31 AM, Tom Lane wrote:

Bob Ippolito <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
Here's my notes on how to build PostgreSQL 7.4 (CVS) on OS X 10.3
(7B85) with (seems to be working, but I haven't really ran any tests)
python, tcl, perl, readline.

I have just in the past couple hours realized that ps_status.c is
seriously broken on OS X 10.3. It appears that Apple has randomly
decided to start #define'ing "BSD", which they did not do in any
prior OS X release, and this confuses ps_status.c into choosing the
wrong method of updating the ps-visible command line. Aside from
causing ps to not show any useful info about postmaster child processes,
this seems to cause dynamic loading of libraries to fail in some
cases :-( ... still trying to understand what's happening there ...

__APPLE__ is usually the only define you should really be depending on (other than things you pass in yourself via configure).

I noticed today that you guys are just
about to release, so I figure I should bring this up right now.

Indeed. We need to fix this yesterday.

* I ditched the system.c hack, assuming Apple has fixed them by 10.3 --
because it breaks tcl and python if you do.

I don't see why system.c would affect the problem I'm seeing --- does this really fix pltcl for you?

If you're getting the NSLinkModule -> mmap crash, then yes. It's the multiply defined symbol that kills it (system in postmaster, system in libSystem). The other crashes I saw were related to the shared mem limit that you can only set *once*.. so you have to sudo vi /etc/rc instead of /etc/sysctl.conf :(

-bob