Robert Treat wrote:

but how do you test this if you cant run them both against each other to compare? (initally running vs 7.4 does tell you something, but even now, 7.5 improved cross datatype index improvments could skew the results of any comparisons)

Right. But with the current two candidates (LRU and ARC) in the field only, there isn't much to compare. If someone wants to implement another algorithm, I will be happy to put the required switchboard (something like the jump table in smgr) into the code. Right now I see much more bang for the buck in creating the background writer.

Jan

---------------------------(end of broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 5: Have you checked our extensive FAQ?