Bruce Momjian wrote:

Andrew Dunstan wrote:

Bruce Momjian wrote:

FYI, the HP testdrive farm, http://www.testdrive.hp.com, has shared
directories for most of the machines, meaning you can CVS update once
and telnet in to compile for each platform.

As Peter pointed out, these machines are firewalled. But presumably
one could upload a snapshot to them. What I had in mind was a
more distributed system, though.

Of course, these things are not mutually exclusive - using the
HP testdrive farm looks like it might be nice. But it would be
hard to automate, I suspect.

I figured you could just upload once and telnet and build on each machine.

What I'm working on (slowly - I'm quite busy right now, and about to be away from home for 5 days) is a system which would (or could) run from cron on every member of the farm, and upload its results to a central server where it could be displayed, in a somewhat similar way to the way the Samba build farm works - see http://build.samba.org/ - so we'd be able to see at a glance when something is broken and where and why. We could also incorporate email notification of breakage, as a refinement.

I have a few pieces of this working but not a full suite yet - it will essentially be 3 perl scripts - one on the client (to run the update(s), build(s) and upload the results) and two on the central server (one for upload and one for display). When I get a demo page done I'll show it working with a couple of hosts.

Of course, you can automate (almost) anything, including telnet, but right now I'm assuming the farm members will have internet connectivity.

cheers

andrew

---------------------------(end of broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster