ow wrote:

--- Andreas Pflug <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Yes, I mentioned it just a few days when discussing dependency in pg_dump.
This is somewhat complementary to WAL and PITR. I'm seeking for a fast way to dump and restore a complete database, like physical file copy, without shutting down the backend. I was thinking of a BACKUP command that streams out the files including any indexes and non-vacuumed tuples. A database recreated from that wouldn't be as clean as a pg_dump/pg_restored database, but it would be up much faster, and there wouldn't be any dependency problem.
This doesn't really replace pg_dump/pg_restore, because it probably wouldn't be able to upgrade a cluster. Still, it would be helpful for disaster recovery.

I think creating a FK without verification check is still needed, especially in
case if:
1) original db is corrupted
2) during cluster upgrade

Agreed. This might be useful for replication purposes too; in MSSQL, you can write "CREATE TRIGGER ... NOT FOR REPLICATION". I'd like to see a transaction safe way (ENABLE/DISABLE TRIGGER command) for this.

3) there's a need to BACKUP/RESTORE a *schema* instead of db.

Thanks