Greg Stark wrote:

If I could disable and reenable the constraint the danger that I would get the
definition wrong would be eliminated. And if I had already done the work to
ensure there were no broken relationships I would optionally be able to skip
the redundant automatic check. I could even have done the verification myself
while the data wasn't live for example.

Since FKs are implemented as trigger, you could disable all triggers on the table right now, no? Could be a bit more comfortable, I agree, and hope for an upcoming DISABLE TRIGGER command.

While talking about this: I could add ENABLE/DISABLE TRIGGER functionality to pgadmin3. Unfortunately, on pg_trigger.tgenabled there's still the comment "not presently checked everywhere it should be, so disabling a trigger by setting this to false does not work reliably". I wonder if this is still true for 7.4. I can't imagine that this should be so hard to fix.

Regards,
Andreas