Greg Stark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> There's a dual to this as well. If the results were very close but
> the actual time taken to run the node doesn't match the cost
> calculated then some optimizer parameter needs to be adjusted.

I was thinking about this, but I couldn't think of how to get it to
work properly:

     (1) The optimizer's cost metric is somewhat bogus to begin with.
         ISTM that translating a cost of X into an expected runtime of
         Y msecs is definitely not trivial to do.

     (2) The size of a node's result relation does not depend upon
         anything outside of PostgreSQL, whereas the exact time it
         takes to produce that result relation depends on a wide
         collection of external factors. For example, if the system is
         under heavy load, queries will take longer than normal to
         run. Or, if the query invokes a function that happens to
         occasionally block waiting on some resource, the execution
         time of the query could be wildly unpredictable.

     (3) ISTM we couldn't produce a really helpful hint message, even
         if we somehow resolved #1 and #2

-Neil