ow wrote:

I'd like to emphasize again that NOT having an index on the FK column is a
perfectly valid approach, despite some opinions to the contrary.

OW, you might insist that there are several cases when an index is not needed, but I didn't propose to create the index automatically (this really shouldn't happen), but merely to send a NOTICE to the user so he can check if he maybe eventually by chance in doubt should create an index. Databases will certainly suffer much more from missing indexes than from too many indexes.

Regards,
Andreas