Tom Lane wrote:

Bruce Momjian <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Andrew Dunstan wrote:

Bruce and others have suggested that PID is not sufficiently unique.

The nice things about using xid for session id is that is is unique for
a long time, rather than pid.

Hmm. Now that I think about it, InitPostgres() always runs a transaction during backend startup. If we simply saved aside the XID assigned to that transaction, it would cost next to nothing to do and would provide a reasonably unique ID. However, this happens much later than the postmaster currently prints the log_connection message ...

Right. And if we have sessionids we would want them logged there, I think. And that would rule out anything based on xid or backend pid. OTOH I am quite sure I can implement the time based counter idea I suggested earlier with a very small amount of disturbance and very low cost. Unless someone can see a flaw in the scheme.

cheers

andrew