--On Tuesday, February 03, 2004 11:12:03 -0500 Andrew Dunstan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Peter Eisentraut wrote:

Andrew Dunstan wrote:

I am less sure of the utility of such an ID, though. After all, if
you see a disconnect log message for a given PID you must know that
any reuse of that PID indicates a new session, or even if you just
see a connection message you know it must be a new session. OTOH,
having a unique SessionID might simplify the logic required of log
analysis tools.

The PID *is* a unique session ID. Why is it not sufficient?

It's unique for the duration of the session, but it won't be for logs covering a sufficient period of time, because PIDs are reused, in some cases not even by cycling but being allocated randomly.

As I said elsewhere, I can live with that, but others wanted something
that was more unique (if such a term has meaning ;-)
How about pid+unix time of start of backend?

LER

cheers

andrew ("You are unique. Just like everybody else.")