Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
There is a website somewhere where a guy posts his patch he is maintaining that does it. I'll try to find it...

Found it. Check it out:

http://gppl.terminal.ru/index.eng.html

Patch is current for 7.4, Oracle syntax.

Chris

I had a look at the patch.
It is still in development but it seems to work nicely - at least I have been able to get the same results with Oracle.

I will try it with a lot of data this afternoon so that we can compare Oracle vs. Pg performance. I expect horrible results ;).

Does this patch have a serious chance to make it into Pg some day?
I think Oracle's syntax is not perfect but is easy to handle and many people are used to it. In people's mind recursive queries = CONNECT BY and many people (like me) miss it sadly.

If this patch has a serious chance I'd like to do some investigation and some real-world data testing.

Regards,

Hans

-- Cybertec Geschwinde u Schoenig Schoengrabern 134, A-2020 Hollabrunn, Austria Tel: +43/2952/30706 or +43/664/233 90 75 www.cybertec.at, www.postgresql.at, kernel.cybertec.at