>> Improving on "not ideal" would be good, and would get even closer to
>> full Oracle/SQLServer migration/compatibility. However, since I've never
>> looked at that section of code, I couldn't comment on any particular
>> approach nor implement such a change, so I'll shut up and be patient.
>
> Imagine this:
>
>       BEGIN WORK;
>       LOCK oldtab;
>       CREATE_X TABLE newtab AS SELECT * FROM oldtab;
>       DELETE oldtab;
>       COMMIT
>
> In this case, you would want the database to abort on a syntax error, right?

Yeah, but in other db's this is solved by the frontend. e.g. in Informix
dbaccess has a mode that simply stops execution upon first error. So I don't
think this is a nogo argument, if we added such a feature to psql.

Imagine your script continuing with "insert into newtab ..." after the commit,
wouldn't you actually want that to not run eighter ?

Andreas

TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster